Many of you must have read in the newspapers or any other media about the opiate that can cause addiction. Though people have been using opioid for many years that was obtained from the plant, now it is made in the laboratory.
Doctors do prescribe opioid as medicine for alleviating pain but many of its illegal forms are floating in the market which is used by people to get a “high” which is really a dangerous trend.
The most common opioids that you can get from the market are as follows:
If any member of your family is found to be addicted to this drug, then you may try to find out the nearest rehab center from the drug rehab directory and take the person for necessary treatment center.
How opioid works?
If you take opioids then it will affect your nerve cells called neurons, which is present in your body and brain. Opioid will block the pain by disabling few nerves of your brain and can make you feel relaxed and happy.
Following are few short-term effects of Opioid:
- Feelings of calmness, confusion and sleepiness
- Breathing may get slowed or stopped if overdose occurs
- Nausea, vomiting
Also, following are few long-term effects of opioid:
- Lung infection
- Muscle pain
- Heart infection
How opioid makes you addicted?
If you continue to take opioid regularly then over a period of time, your body will get used to this drug and you may feel terrible, if you do not take it or stop for few days.
Withdrawal is almost like having flu but it can be much worse even, and it will become very difficult for you to stop taking this drug. When a person starts taking an opioid in spite of knowing that it can interfere with their work, relationship etc. then it is addiction.
Most important thing to know is that anyone can get addicted to opioids. You may be of any age, sex, resident of any country or however smart you are, you can get addicted to this drug, if you are not careful while taking this drug.
Statistics on its use and abuse
Globally use of opioid is on increasing trend, so it is not at all a matter of surprise that its abuse and addiction cases are also coming to light and in recent years its addiction has increased tremendously.
As per the data provided by the National Institute on Drug Abuse following few statistics available:
- In the year 2017, opiate painkillers have been prescribed to people for more than one hundred ninety million times.
- About 26 to 36 million people all over the world abuse opiates.
- In the USA, more than 2 million adults suffer from opioid abuse problems.
- Almost half million adults in country like USA are addicted due to heroin.
- During the year 2010, because of overuse of opioid painkillers about 17,000 deaths occurred in the USA.
- Almost 75% of people with opioid addiction disorder had finally switched to heroin addiction as it is a cheaper alternate of opioids.
Therefore, whoever need to take opioid for their chronic pain, should always consult their doctor.